Cleaning recommendations vary by manufacturer and product materials, Click the below brands for guidelines and cleaning instructions.
Fabric Cleaning Resources
Rug Cleaning Resources
Use the charts below for quick and easy conversions.
- 1 Yard =18 sq. ft.
- 2 Yard =36 sq. ft.
- 3 Yard =54 sq. ft.
- 4 Yard =72 sq. ft.
- 5 Yard =90 sq. ft.
- 6 Yard =108 sq. ft.
- 7 Yard =126 sq. ft.
- 8 Yard =144 sq. ft.
- 9 Yard =162 sq. ft.
- 10 Yard =180 sq. ft.
- Length x Width = Square Feet
- Divide Square Feet by 9 = Square Yards
KBK to the Trade vendors understand the importance of helping clients visualize a final product. Use the following client software to help make the leap. Configurator lists are beneficial with semi-custom programs.
Visualize Your Designs with Our Vendor’s Configurator Tool
Tips for Working with an Interior Designer
While every fabric and every finish are not available, seeing finish framed configurations is a valuable tool for designers. This is just a small sampling of options provided by our vendors. Once you create a piece, KBK will be happy to assist registered interior designers with a quote. Please send to email@example.com
Terms & Guidelines
KBK to the Trade uses terms and guidelines universal to the design industry. Explore the most common industry terms and guidelines below:
- California King72" X 84"
- King76" X 80"
- Queen60" X 80"
- Full XL54" X 80"
- Full54" X 75"
- Twin XL38" X 80"
- Twin38" X 75"
A soft quilt filled with down, feathers, or synthetic fiber, used instead of an upper sheet and blankets
A bedspread, typically less than floor-length.
A silk or wool fabric is woven to have a raised surface with a quilted appearance.
A warm bed covering made of padding, enclosed between layers of fabric, and kept in place by lines of stitching, typically applied in a decorative design.
A large piece of woolen or similar material used as a bed covering or other covering for warmth.
a light cover.
- Standard Sham
20 inches by 26 inches
- Kind Sham
About 20 inches by 36 inches
- Euro Sham
26" x 26" inches.
Indoor Seat and Back Cushion Basics
- Foam and Down
The cushion core is sturdy foam which is then topped with down proof ticking. The result is a very soft, relaxed look & feel with some comfort wrinkles.
- Spring Down
Individually wrapped steel coils that are clamped to each other providing uniform weight distribution. The coils are wrapped in a foam core and encased in a durable downproof ticking which is filled with feathers, down, and fiber. This cushion provides you the comfort of down but with a slightly firmer and more tailored appearance.
A combination of feather and duck down.. Very soft, relaxed and luxurious. Periodic fluffing is required to retain its original shape & crown.
Trillium is a man made product which mimics the characteristics of natural down, but is hypoallergenic. It is resilient and provides a luxurious look and feel.
100% fiber backs are standard in a number of our styles. Carefully weighted and channeled so the fiber will not migrate with use. Firm and continuous support.
A mixture of feathers, down and fiber encased in a downproof ticking. These backs are channeled to prevent migration.
This cushion is made up solely down and feathers and is encased in a downproof ticking. This cushion will have a soft, relaxed look.
Follow the links below for guidelines specific to various products.
WINDOW MEASUREMENT WORKSHEET
Use the visual guideline below for more information on measuring to install drapery:
- Standard minimum fabric is ordered per yard. After the first yard, some vendors allow designers to order half or quarter yards. Talk to your KBK to the Trade representative for more information.
- The average width of multipurpose and upholstery fabrics is 54.” Always check the vendor’s tag for anomalies (i.e., 48”, 56”, 60”).
- Sheers are often wide-width (118+” wide). Sometimes, they arrive with a beaded hem. Depending on the application, wide-width fabrics can be railroaded which means less seams.
- Some vendors require a minimum order of 2 yards or a cut fee. Please ask KBK about minimums if a project needs less than 2 yards.
- Fabrics for commercial use require specific flame retardant testing. Clients should check with their Fire Marshall for specific requirements.
Explore some examples below:
- NFPA 701 – vertical cigarette burn for drapery use.
- NFPA 260 – Laboratory testing procedures are detailed for evaluating the performance of upholstered furniture components when exposed to smoldering cigarettes under specified conditions. This includes cover fabric, interior fabric, welt cords, filling/padding components, decking materials, and barrier materials.
- CAL 117 – The surface of the test model is touched by a 5/8” long pencil-thin flame for 1 second. The rating criteria are simple. The model will “Pass” (did not ignite), or it will “Fail” (ignites).
Fabrics are applied behind the drapery fabric. Drapery lining is available in multiple weights and opacities.
- Leather products are priced per square foot and predominantly sold per hide.
- The average hide is 50-60 square feet.
- Every hide is different in size. To protect KBK and the designer against future charges, KBK includes a 10% variance fee in our quotes and invoices. KBK applies the difference to all invoices after we are charged, and the exact square footage is shipped.
- 1 yard of 54” wide fabric is the equivalent of 18 square feet of leather.
Wallpaper is sold in four ways:
- Per single roll
- Per yard
- Per euro/bolt
- Per set (for murals)
Wallpaper Per Roll:
- Standard American Wallpaper
- Priced per single roll (27” wide x 4.5 yds long)
- Packaged per double (27” wide x 9 yds / 27 ft long)
- Must be ordered in single rolls and in even numbers.
For example: if a client orders six single rolls it will arrive as three rolls.
No cuts to the rolls.
- Standard Grasscloth Wallpaper
- Priced per single roll (36” wide by 4 yds long)
- Packaged per double roll (36” wide x 8 yds / 24 feet long)
- Must always be ordered in single rolls and in even numbers
For example: if a client orders six single rolls, it will arrive as three rolls.
- Standard European Wallpaper
- Priced and ordered per Euro roll (20.50” x 11 yds)
- It is the equivalent of double roll. Only order in single units.
- Murals are sold per panel and/or complete sets and come in various widths and lengths. Most murals can be repeated for complete coverage, or vendors can provide matching ground. Consult vendors’ specification sheets for more details.
Wallpaper Per Yard:
- Commercial Wallcovering
- 54” wide
- Typically sold in 15 or 30-yard bolts
- Priced per yard. If less than the minimum is ordered, cut fees will apply. All cut fees are added to the per-yard price. Cut fees & minimums vary.
Provide the following information for all hardware orders or quotes:
- Rod/Pole: Diameter, Length, and Style
- The designer should start with either the rod diameter or finial. All other components will align with this select.
- Most vendors suggest a support bracket every 2-4 feet.
The extra special touch added to window treatments. Minimums may apply, so ask the CS agent for more information.
Trimmings include but are not limited to
- Sold per Yard: cord, fringe, tape, gimp, beads
- Sold per Each: tiebacks, rosettes, nail heads, chair ties
Designers and vendors use common terminology specific to the industry. Explore the most common industry terms below:
Stock is put on reserve, and the vendor sends a “Cutting for Approval” to the designer. This snipping is from the existing bolt of goods ready to ship.
“Customer’s Own Leather”
“Customer’s Own Material”
- Drop Ship
Goods shipped to a specified address. Not KBK.
- Dye Lot
A number assigned to a specific bolt of fabric that represents when it was made.
The craftsperson or company hired to construct the designer’s project (i.e., drapery workroom, upholsterer).
Shipping charges for carrying orders. Freight trucks must ship to a commercial receiver, or additional charges will apply.
- Linear Feet
Straight line distance measured in feet. Used for pricing edging for custom area rugs or ordering wall-to-wall carpet.
Precut sample distributed to showrooms and designers as selling tools. Memos vary in age, so requesting a CFA to verify a color match is essential.
Estimate which includes all goods, freight, and sales tax (if applicable).
- Rail Roaded
Pattern is woven or printed across the roll from selvage to selvage. Most commonly used for upholstery fabrics but also wide width drapery fabrics.
NOTE: If the fabric is not specified as railroaded, the repeat can often tell you which direction the pattern runs.
- Up The Bolt
Pattern is woven or printed up the roll and runs parallel to the selvage. Most commonly used for drapery projects. Most horizontal repeats are Up the Bolt.
Stock is put on hold for a client with the vendor. Ask the CS Agent if a product is available for reserve.
and Handling fees
Charges for transporting goods via UPS or FedEx to a client’s requested address.
- Square Foot /
Unit of area measurement equal to a square measuring one foot on each side.
- Square Yard
Unit of area measurement equal to a square measuring one yard on each side.
Acceptable amount of change in color between dyelots and measurements for custom goods. The industry standard is 3-10% change.